MANILA ELECTRIC Co. (Meralco) announced that it will resume disconnection activities in Metro Manila next week, but added that it will not be implementing these in areas placed under granular lockdown.
“Disconnection activities in National Capital Region (NCR) will resume with the delivery of disconnection notices for services with unpaid overdue bills next week. The disconnection notices give customers enough time to settle their bills or to reach out for assistance,” Meralco said in a statement issued on Viber Thursday.
NCR, which is now under a general community quarantine or the lowest quarantine level, began implementing targeted lockdowns with new alert level systems last week.
Meanwhile, there will be no disconnections in the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, Rizal, and Lucena City in Quezon until Sept. 30 as these areas were placed under the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine until the end of the month.
“We encourage customers with billing concerns to reach out, so we can assist them and even come up with payment terms if needed,” Meralco First Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer Ferdinand O. Geluz said.
Meralco’s controlling stakeholder, Beacon Electric Asset Holdings, Inc., is partly owned by PLDT, Inc. Hastings Holdings, Inc., a unit of PLDT Beneficial Trust Fund subsidiary MediaQuest Holdings, Inc., which has interest in BusinessWorld through the Philippine Star Group, which it controls. — Angelica Y. Yang