THE DEPARTMENT of Health (DoJ) reported fewer than the usual coronavirus infections and deaths on Wednesday, again citing technical issues.
It posted 3,656 new coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 2.74 million. The death toll rose to 40,977 after five more patients died, while recoveries increased by 228 to 2.63 million, it said in a bulletin.
There were 67,061 active cases, 77.9% of which were mild, 6.8% did not show symptoms, 4.6% were severe, 8.69% were moderate and 2% were critical.
The agency said 20 duplicates had been removed from the tally, 16 of which were reclassified as recoveries, while five recoveries were reclassified as deaths.
Two other cases were relisted as recoveries, DoH said.
“The low number of reported recoveries and deaths today are due to technical issues,” the agency said in a statement. Additional recoveries and deaths would be reflected reports in the coming days, it added.
DoH said 53% of Metro Manila’s intensive care units had been occupied, while the national rate was 59%.
The presidential palace on Tuesday said the government would expand a new coronavirus alert level system first tested in the capital region into other parts of the country starting Oct. 20.
An inter-agency task force put Batangas, Quezon Province including Lucena City under Alert Level 2. Also under the same alert level are Bohol, Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City and Cebu Province in central Philippines and Davao De Oro, Davao Del Sur and Davao Oriental in Mindanao.
Cavite, Laguna, Rizal, Siquijor, Davao City and Davao del Norte would be under Alert Level 3, under which theaters would be allowed to operate. The capacity of allowed businesses would also be increased.
Negros Oriental and Davao Occidental will be under Alert Level 4, which bans theaters, amusement parks and playgrounds, karaoke bars, live voice or wind-pipe performances and contact sports establishments.
The country’s pandemic task force placed Metro Manila under Alert Level 3 from Oct. 16 to 30. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza